I hit on an idea how to show: What exactly is RVM? RVM is like house with flowers. Each flower need special living conditions. One of them likes water, other doesn’t like strong light. If we want to flowers grown, we need to take care about this specific living conditions. In this cases help us RVM. Each project wrote in Ruby on Rails needs special environment. RVM help as to keep environments separate without problems.
How can we use RVM?
It’s easy, look:
- list of Ruby versions (type of ground):
it can look like:
rvm rubies jruby-1.7.4 [ x86_64 ] ruby-2.0.0-p195 [ x86_64 ] =* ruby-2.0.0-p247 [ x86_64 ] # => - current # =* - current && default # * - default
- list of gemsets (living conditions):
rvm gemset list => (default) global woman_on_rails
- change gemset to womanonrails:
rvm gemset use woman_on_rails Using ruby-2.0.0-p247 with gemset woman_on_rails
When we look into gemset list now, we can see:
rvm gemset list (default) global => woman_on_rails
OK, but how can we install RVM?
- Try use official RVM page
- Or try https://github.com/fractalsoft/dotfiles – There is instruction how create your own environment from the begin. If you have system and the rest, you can use only dotfiles to install rvm.
I hope that, my entry helps you understood what RVM is. I love feedback. Please live your comment. This article is a simple sample of RVM. If you want more knowladge please check official RVM webpage.